Friday 24 February 2012

Disabled Parking Update.

Today I received a phone call from the supermarket that I emailed about their disabled parking bays. Although they were very apologetic, basically they told me there was nothing they could really do to enforce the parking bays. The problem is that they don't run the car parks, its down to a third party car park company. I will be contacting this company this week seeing if they will do anything about the disabled bays, but I don't hold out much hope.

The supermarket did say that when their staff walk through the car park they will note the illegally parked cars registration numbers and call them to the help desk, then explain to them that they shouldn't park there, then ask them to move, I hope they do this but can't see it myself. They also said that if I arrive at the supermarket and find the disabled bays full because of illegal parking, that I should note the numbers down, then get my carer to pop into store and they will announce them over the tannoy. I didn't like this idea but if its the only way for me to get in and out of the car, I will have to do it. Would love to hear of more people asking the supermarkets to ask these people to move their cars, eventually they may get the message.

3 comments:

abcsofra said...

You is hot under the collar on this one and as you should be! Go get em! Although I still say snapping a pic of the offender with a cellphone might speed up this process. And may I ask, why are you having to write down all the numbers. A simple complaint to the monitor of the parking area should do. Let them get off their you know what and write the numbers down. You are disabled after all!! Argh! Talk about passing the buck!

Grumpy said...

Thanks abcsorfa, It was a total pass of the buck, they were basically wanting me to do their jobs. But if thats the only way I can keep some independence, then so be it. Used to hate shopping, now it seems like a treat to get out of the house!

Anonymous said...

i can relate wholeheartedly Mr Grumpy. i'm also disabled, altho i do not need a wheelchair at this time. it is very frustrating not to have a handicapped spot open when you really need one, no matter where you are at! good luck in your endeavors to battle this issue in your area!