Friday 17 February 2012

Disabled Parking Bay Abuse

Recently I have been really disappointed with my local supermarket for not enforcing their disabled parking bays. This is one of, if not the biggest supermarket chain in the UK, so its not a resources matter.

For me, like many others, not being able to park in a allocated disabled parking space makes any kind of shopping trip a lot more difficult, and at times I have to turn around and drive else where. I don't like people to go out the way to accommodate me, but a bit of common courtesy isn't out of the question, surely?

I would be ashamed if I was able bodied and was making life a lot harder for someone who needs a disabled space. For them its the fact that they can park closer to the store, for myself the wider bays enable be to get out of the car and into a wheelchair. On occasion people have been getting out of the car at the same time as me, have glanced over at me and had a pang of guilt, but instead of moving the car they put a fake limp on for a few yards until they think I cant see them anymore, they are that pathetic.

I will be writing to the head office of this supermarket brand to ask them to help the less able bodied amongst us. I know its not a major thing, but it is one of those little things that make life easier, I will have to remind them every little helps! It wouldn't be hard for a staff member to occasionally patrol the disabled parking bays and leave a notice on the offending cars reminding them that they shouldn't be parked there.

I will keep you all informed on any replies that I receive off them and if anything is going to change

1 comment:

abcsofra said...

Here in the US it is illegal to park in a designated handicap space. If it is also illegal over there and if you have a cell phone with picture capability...take a picture of the car parked illegally and their license plate as well. Then notify the police to ticket them. I don't understand why the able bodied do this...regardless of which country...it is just plain not right!